Wave 3 Literacy: Supporting Struggling Readers Using Sound Discovery® & Rapid Phonics® (Half-Day)
How to use synthetic phonics to teach Reading, Spelling and Writing, as approved by the DfE: A successful Wave 3 Literacy Intervention. Training will be facilitated by Jenny Harris & Kate McCaul, Specialist Learning Support Teachers.
14th of June 2018, 1-4 p.m. (half-day)
Abbey Conference Centre, Norwich
This course is for SENCOs, Teachers and Teaching Assistants in Primary or Secondary Schools aiming to deliver a highly structured programme which supports pupils with literacy difficulties. Resources can be viewed at the session.
- Sound Discovery® is a synthetic phonics programme in steps for all ages and stages. Order resources from www.espo.org or http://www.syntheticphonics.net/
- Rapid Phonics® is the same methodology, and developed to appeal to younger learners from Year 1-3 through KS2. The scheme has complementary readers and e-readers. Order from http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk
Course outline at Steps 1 & 2
- Sound Discovery/Rapid Phonics structure and methodology
- How to assess and place pupils on the programme
- Delivery of the Snappy Lesson™
- Introduction to Step 3
- Use of decodable texts
- Managing the intervention for success
SENCOs, Teachers and Teaching Assistants in Primary or Secondary Schools. Please nominate a member of staff, e.g. SENCO/Literacy Coordinator to attend sessions with Teaching Assistants: the role of managing the programme in schools is fundamental to the programme’s success. Teachers and Teaching Assistants attending the course will need preparation time to carry out assessments before delivering the programme.
Cost: £75 per delegate (10% discount for 4 or more delegates).
Up to 20 places are available. Places will be allocated on receipt of completed booking forms which can be requested by contacting email@example.com.
Letters of confirmation will be emailed to applicants placed on this course. Please do not assume you have a place until you receive this confirmation. In the event of non-attendance, schools may be charged.
Please download and complete the form below
For more information about the Sound Discovery & Rapid Phonics course, please contact: Bridget Tinsey, Business Support Officer, Children’s Services, Carrow House, Level 2, 301 King Street, Norwich, NR1 2TN. Tel: 01603 307553 or firstname.lastname@example.org.